Men & Teen Boys Workshops
At Sun Dragon, we believe that everyone benefits from learning and practicing ways to handle safety and conflict situations in proactive ways.
Why work with boys and men?
1. Violence and disrespect don’t happen in a vacuum, in order for things to change in our society, we need to involve everyone.
2. Men and boys experience sexual assault, intimate partner violence, and childhood sexual and physical abuse. They don’t have many supportive places to talk about that abuse.
3. Men and boys are pressured to resolve conflict by fighting. They are often taught that walking away means they are weak and not “real men”.
4. Gay men, trans & gender non-conforming people, men of color, men with disabilities, immigrant men, and others are targets of hate crime violence, harassment, and discrimination.
5. Men and boys are more likely to be perpetrators of sexual and partner violence. They face pressure to participate in gender-based violence or look the other way.
This 3- hour workshop focuses on the nuances of gender-based violence from the perspective of men and boys, from the types of violence they face, to how they are discouraged from self-advocacy, compromise, and emotional communication.
Through guided discussion, scenario-based role play, and physical practice, we cover…
- Deescalation and mediation skills
- Safety assessment strategies
- Self-advocacy and boundary setting techniques
- Physical self-defense skills to use in the event of violence
$45 for one person | $35 each for more than one registering together |$25 for current Sun Dragon students/members