Open to all abilities, sizes, and fitness levels: You don’t have to be a martial artist or an athlete to help yourself be safer!
Many of our workshops are designated as “all genders” but some are separated “women/girls” or “men/boys”. This is not because we believe there is an inherent gender difference but because we recognize that the world treats us differently based on gender categories. All of our workshops are open and welcoming to people who identify as trans, genderqueer, gender fluid, non-binary, gender creative, gender non-conforming, or any other gender designation that exists. Whoever you are and however you identify, pick the workshop that makes the most sense for you. You know your gender experience better than anyone else does.
Please email Laura with any questions about upcoming workshops, problems with registration, or to request a scholarship application.
- February 18, 12:00-3:00pm
- Open to people age 12-18 who identify as male
- In this 3-hour workshop students will learn and practice skills for awareness, verbal assertiveness, and physical protection. Through discussions, interactive activities, and hands-on practice, participants will gain skills on how to:
- recognize potentially dangerous situations
- communicate their needs
- de-escalate situations
- identify when body language and verbal communications do not match
- intervene when someone is being targeted (in words or actions)
- physically defend themselves and others
- $35 per person
- March 2, 3:30-6:30pm
- In this 3-hour workshop students will learn and practice skills for awareness, verbal assertiveness, and physical protection. Through discussions, interactive activities, and hands-on practice, participants will gain skills to maximize their safety and feel stronger and more confident in everyday situations, while also preparing for potentially dangerous situations.
- Open to all genders, age 13+
- Specific areas of focus include:
*Awareness for violence prevention
*How to defuse a violent situation
*Physical skills to fight back & escape
- $45 for one person, $35 each for two people registering together
- $25 for current Sun Dragon Students