About Social Justice Self-Empowerment Self Defense
At Sun Dragon, we teach Social Justice Self Empowerment Self Defense. This style of self defense focuses on feeling strong, safe, and respected in all situations. It brings attention to social issues like racism and sexism that teach us to tolerate violence and disrespect. We believe strongly that people who have survived violence should not be blamed for that violence.
Our work helps people feel strong, safe, respected, and more confident in speaking out and acting out when they encounter a violent, or potentially violent, situation. We teach self defense to people of all ages and all genders because we are all a part of this society and we discuss “the little things” (microaggressions) that people encounter everyday.
We believe that physical and emotional safety is everyone’s right AND working towards a peaceful, respectful society is everyone’s responsibility. Sun Dragon is part of a social justice self defense movement; you can find other like-minded programs on our Resources page.
Empowerment Self Defense
- ESD is not about victim blaming – everyone can learn to interrupt violence.
- It brings attention to social issues like racism and sexism that teach us to tolerate violence and disrespect.
- EDS teaches evidence-based risk assessment strategies that reduce fear as well as violence.
- It is trauma-sensitive and consistent with emerging trauma interventions.
- EDS is holistic: it covers conflict resolution, consent, relationship violence and bystander intervention skills.
Sun Dragon’s curriculum uses the same approach as the program featured in the New England Journal of Medicine last year, which reduced assault rates by about half (“Efficacy of a Sexual Assault Resistance Program for University Women.” Charlene Y. Senn, et al. N Engl J Med 2015; 372:2326-2335 June 11, 2015).